Tuesday 10 April 2018

Just See - a poem by Paul Horan


See my ability,
Not my intellectual disability,
See me for what and who I am,
Understand me,
I am an extraordinary human being just like you,
I can do many and sometimes more things than you can do,
Seek not to pity me,
And I will not pity you,
I seek understanding, caring and love,
I give my love unconditionally,
So Why can't you,
Just accept me for all that I am,
Don't feel sorry for me for what I cannot do,
See my courage,
And you too will have the courage,
To see my flame of hope,
And maybe you will see how I can teach you to care and cope,
When all else is done,
When my battles are won,
We can by working together give this world a special gift,
When we Share the Caring Feeling,
We can all get a much-needed lift.

Paul Francis Horan © 2018

Adapted from (Horan, P.F. (2004) “See My ability” The Frontline of Intellectual Disability (59) pg 30)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lloyd visits Goldie Leigh!

Lloyd Page from Mencap visits Goldie Leigh! During March earlier this year Lloyd Page who works for National Mencap visited Goldie Le...