Wednesday 29 August 2018

Fairness, understanding and communication is key to good health!






I am so pleased that people with learning disabilities and autistic people have been recognised as a priority in the NHS 10 year plan. We all worked for this and now its time for us all to come together.


NHS England are asking us all for ideas and what should be included in the NHS plan. Here's my ideas:


Annual Health Checks
Everyone should be offered an annual health check. I know GP's are supposed to do this but this doesn't happen for everyone. Health checks are so useful and important for people with learning disabilities. Some medical problems can be picked up and dealt with at health checks. Also mental health is as important as physical health, so this should be included.


Reasonable adjustment training
I've heard a very sad story about a young man named Oliver McGowan. He died in hospital after being given a medication that he didn't want and it said in his hospital passport he was allergic to. I know that some doctors and nurses don't read hospital passports but Oliver's story is proof that they can be the difference between life and death.

You can sign Oliver's petition to make sure that all healthcare staff receive training HERE.

When I broke my arm I went to hospital, asked the nurses to call my mum. They said I am an independent man and do I really need my mum with me. They always make so many assumptions by looking at you. Because I talk quite well everybody thinks I'm totally independent but I still need support, understanding and my mum to be with me when I am unwell.

Here's some suggestions of what should be in the training:
  • This should be developed and delivered by people with learning disabilities and/or autism, families and professionals.
  • This should be with nurses and doctors in front of us. Where we can tell our stories, what helps, what can go wrong and answer their questions.
  • How people communicate and recognising that people are in pain.
  • Knowing about and using hospital passports.
  • Use pictures, signs, photos to communicate everything.
  • Offer the first appointment at the GP or a double appointment.
  • Have a quiet room in the GP surgeries or outpatients.
  • Doctor's and nurses dress in everyday clothes if needed.

At Lewisham Speaking Up Parliament this Friday we are talking about early deaths, the NHS plan and the work we do with Lewisham Hospital. It is great that the NHS are including us but there still is a long way to go. There needs to be fairness, understanding and communication if this plan is too work.

Peter Cronin
Self Advocate


3 comments:

  1. I love some of your suggestions for the way forward Peter so well done. Kaye Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree totally with your suggestions Peter - great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Lloyd visits Goldie Leigh!

Lloyd Page from Mencap visits Goldie Leigh! During March earlier this year Lloyd Page who works for National Mencap visited Goldie Le...