Thursday 29 March 2018

Sikhism, learning disability and me


I'm going to the Sikh temple in April and I think now would be a good time to talk about my faith and beliefs. What’s it like having a learning disability and being a Sikh?

Its different and has some challenges........

Because I have a learning disability I am sometimes vulnerable, especially when out at nighttime. I am very proud to be a Sikh and wear a turban. But now I only wear a turban for special occasions. This is because groups of men sometimes call me a terrorist and even follow me. This is quite scary. It’s like if you have a different colour of skin they call you a terrorist. Sikhs are a peaceful society. People often make assumptions about being a Sikh and actually know very little about it.

Sikhism
Guru Gobind Singh was born hundreds of years ago. He gave us the 5 symbols of faith, refused to turn to Islam and wrote lots of scriptures.
  • Kesh - uncut hair
  • Kara - a steel bracelet
  • Kanga - a wooden comb
  • Kaccha - cotton underwear
  • Kirpan - steel sword




Sikhs were supposed to carry each of these items with them everywhere. Perhaps you had a carry a sword back in those days for safety but you would be arrested today.

I often go the Sikh temple. It’s a very calm and peaceful place. They accept anyone who needs a place of safety. If you’re homeless or hungry you can keep warm and will be given food and they welcome people from any religion.


Sikh weddings




I especially like Sikh weddings and the amount of celebrations! A wedding lasts for three days:

Day 1 - the man and women have separate blessings.
Day 2 - a pre-wedding party, then go to Mehndi - this is where henna tattooed on to the bride. Then families join together to become one. Everyone put flowers over the husband and wife. Brothers from both sides of family then battle to see who is strongest by picking them up. Then a Granthi reads out the book Guru Grant Sabih
Day 3 - we have the biggest celebration ever, this is my favourite part of the wedding. Sometimes superstars from the Sikh community are hired to perform at the wedding. Then a person banging a big drum comes in.

My community understand and support me. I’m not made to feel different and they respect me. It’s estimated around 15% of Sikhs have different kinds of disabilities. 

I like sharing my culture and religion with other people with learning disabilities. I’m suggesting to Oxleas that we start a group to learn from other cultures, recognised differences and we have similar values. It would be great if they educate the general population about different cultures when they are kids at school. Hopefully then fewer adults will discriminate against Sikhs and others minority’s and we can all become full citizens of a multi cultured society.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful blog Sunny! Thank you for educating me about the Sikh religion and culture. I have some Sikh friends so I knew about some of the things that you mention, but you have given me a wider understanding. Thanks, Ella.

    ReplyDelete

Lloyd visits Goldie Leigh!

Lloyd Page from Mencap visits Goldie Leigh! During March earlier this year Lloyd Page who works for National Mencap visited Goldie Le...