Tuesday 5 June 2018

Antony runs the London Marathon for Mencap!



This year I ran the hottest London Marathon on record and am still wondering how I managed!

I have previously completed 3 London`s (as the Pro`s call it!) and felt, at aged 46 and rising, that I had one more in me – my competitive soul would not enter unless I could beat my personal best of 3 hours and 43 minutes.

I trained hard and felt that I was fitter that I had been for many years and was better prepared than ever – then, seven days prior, I heard that Britain “would be looking forward to a heat wave peaking with temperatures of 25 degrees on the 22.4.2018” Errrr….not me thanks, I was looking forward to a chilly, overcast but windless and dry day please!

As the next few days grew hotter and hotter the race organisers sent daily information on tips and advice on what to do on race day and how to manage the heat – I realised my vulnerability when I was chased around the registration centre and “encouraged” to accept free hand outs of factor 50 sun cream!

I ran for 5 miles on the Thursday prior to race day and it was 27 degrees and a massive shock to my sun sensitive system – I was exhausted and struggled to complete my last short training run – as I collapsed on the floor when I got home i proclaimed to all that it was off – that there is no way I can run 26.2 miles in this heat, forget it!!

On race day I prepared well and was ready for the day and race ahead – I walked across Blackheath at 08:30 and felt the sun`s strength already – although not 27 degrees I knew that it had to be respected and began to feel happy that I had experienced it`s potential on Thursday evening. I hydrated well and was ready to head all the good advice to take it easy and “go slow” I told myself that if I could get to halfway and feel good then I would continue…

I was in pen 2 so part of first wave of starters and was on my way at 10:05…It was hot but I felt good and began to feel the atmosphere of the immense crowds – 2 or 3 deep all the way round – I saw some family and friends and I was buzzing – I kept an eye on my trusty watch and pace was good and steady – On track for an unexpected PB?

I felt good halfway, I felt good at 14 miles and was happy at 16…at 18 miles I began to lose focus, some may describe the “wall” and imagine a physical barrier – for me it is emotional and psychological and I kind of lose heart or the will to continue – I just kept telling myself that if I could get to 22 miles (only a park run away) and pass Tower Bridge then I would be good again – I pushed myself to reach Tower Bridge and knew I could finish – This was the “home straight” all the way down the Embankment to the coveted Pall mall and Buckingham Palace – As I passed Tower Bridge I felt a wave of adrenalin and waved at the crowds who continued to encourage me and give me strength – I pushed as hard as I physically could and began to sense the finish – as I passed the houses of parliament the miles became yards but physical and mental exhaustion was challenging me – keep pushing, keep pushing I was shouting and then I was there , the finish in sight and my emotions exploded – As I ran over the finish I broke down – 8 months of training, hundreds of miles and pavements tread and this was it – finished! 3 hours and 52 minutes! Whoop whoop!

 

I would like to thank all of the anonymous cheerers along the way, all of Oxleas staff who supported me and my chosen charity Mencap who provided support throughout and whose cause kept me going for 26.2 miles.

I vowed never again but the lure of the London was too much! Here’s to next year.

Thanks, Antony
Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust  

1 comment:

  1. Excellent & inspirational blog..... well done Anthony and trust you are still running

    ReplyDelete

Lloyd visits Goldie Leigh!

Lloyd Page from Mencap visits Goldie Leigh! During March earlier this year Lloyd Page who works for National Mencap visited Goldie Le...